1. The capital of Damascus is thought to be one of the world's oldest continuously inhabited cities; evidence exists of settlements dating back to 9000 BC. Which, in scientific terms makes it ‘well old’.
2. After World War I the French administered Syria, previously a province of the Ottoman Empire, until granting it independence in 1946. A period of instability followed with numerous military coups.
3. In 1970, Hafiz al-Asad, a member of the minority Alawi sect, seized power in a bloodless coup and brought political stability to the country.
4. Following the death of Hafiz in 2000 his son, Bashar al-Asad, was approved as the new president in a referendum with a slightly questionable 97% of the vote.
5. Syrians are also well known for their cheese (really). The very popular string fromage jibbneh mashallale is made of curd and is pulled and twisted together.
And now a gif of a hot girl in a bra…