Image Via Shutterstock
Personally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of the meaty-dude look. No offense, it's just a personal preference. Similarly to how some men prefer butts to boobs or visa-versa. Women have preferences too! But today isn't about what tickles my fancy, it's about you adorably skinny men out there, who for better or worse are just trying to build a wee-bit of muscle mass. You know, just trying to get your Popeye The Sailor Man on. I get it! Which is why I'm going to tell you how to do it naturally, without the assistance of anything that will undoubtedly lead to ball-shrinkage and bacne.
As per author Joey Vaillancourt of BodyBuilding.Com which, by given the name, is a very reputable source, this is what you should be doing to get that David Hasselhoff, Baywatch bod you've always wanted. Ew, never mind, let's go with Zac Efron or The Rock in the Baywatch reboot, yeah much better.
Stop Relying On Supplements
- "I have been in your shoes, and I can't count how many times I have fallen prey to the supplement industry. You have to understand, a supplement is exactly as the name implies...A SUPPLEMENT. It is not going to make or break your gains in the gym. The only supplements I recommend are protein powder and perhaps some Gatorade after workouts."
Train Under An Hour
- "You should be keeping whichever program you are doing to no more than 1 hour of duration. Be sure that you are focusing on keeping the intensity high rather than making the workout drag on. Plus, there's no research that says marathon training sessions are better for muscle growth. Focus on keeping your rest periods under a minute and limit the small talk with other gym members."
Take It Easy
- "As naturally skinny guys, you have to stop moving around so much. It's just a part of who you are, but you might fidget or move around a lot in the day. Learn to relax a bit more and try to limit activity outside of the gym as much as possible when outside of the gym so that your energy is put forth to good use."
Change Rep Range Every 3-4 Weeks
- "Unless you are making great gains and progressing like nobody's business, I would suggest changing the rep range every 4-6 weeks to avoid plateaus. Changing the rep range will make your body adapt to the new stress causing you to gain weight in the form of muscle."
Hit The Buffet
- "Remember, this is for the extreme skinny guy...But I want you to start hitting a buffet once a week. Try and position this eating frenzy after a hard workout so that the majority of calories get shuttled into the muscles which will really help you pack on those pounds and gain weight in the right places. Don't go too overboard, but this will train your body to 'accept' more food and it will increase your appetite in the days to come. Take advantage of this strategy."
We've got some killer food guides that will help you out with this one! What's your preferred junk food? We've got a hotdog guide, burger guide, BBQ guide, food truck guide—your inner-fat kid is doing cartwheels right now, I just know it!
To read the full article, head HERE