We've probably all wondered what it would be like to really own one of the most valuable sports teams in the world, but, after Forbes listed the franchises who have the biggest payoff, you may just try your luck at the lottery to try and acquire your own — because these things are definitely a good investment.
For instance, look at the team that comes in at No. 1 on the list, the Dallas Cowboys. All the way back in 1989, owner Jerry Jones purchased the franchise from H.R. "Bum" Bright for a mere $140 million, taking over a team with rich history but, at the time, not a whole lot of success. Fast-forward a 25-plus years, and Jones' 'Boys have become "America's Team, winning three Super Bowls in the '90s and earning the distinction as the most valuable sports team on the planet, estimated to be worth $4.2 billion.
While the Dallas Cowboys are clearly doing something right — not only taking top honors, but also being the only sports team with a value of $4 billion or more — there are plenty of other franchises which are worth a hell of a lot of money, too.
We gave you the top-10 in the video above, but, according to the 2017 list from Forbes, here's the list of the entire top-20. Does your favorite team make the cut?
- 20. Houston Texans, $2.6 billion (NFL)
- 19. San Francisco Giants, $2.65 billion (MLB)
- 18. Chicago Cubs, $2.68 billion (MLB)
- 17. Boston Red Sox, $2.7 billion (MLB)
- 16. Chicago Bears, $2.7 billion (NFL)
- 15. Bayern Munich, $2.71 billion (Soccer)
- 14. Los Angeles Dodgers, $2.75 billion (MLB)
- 13. New York Jets, $2.75 billion (NFL)
- 12. Los Angeles Rams, $2.9 billion (NFL)
- 11. Washington Redskins, $2.95 billion (NFL)
- 10. Los Angeles Lakers, $3 billion (NBA)
- 9. San Francisco 49ers, $3 billion (NFL)
- 8. New York Giants, $3.1 billion (NFL)
- 7. New York Knicks, $3.3 billion (NBA)
- 6. New England Patriots (NFL)
- 5. Real Madrid, $3.58 billion (Soccer)
- 4. Barcelona, $3.64 billion (Soccer)
- 3. Manchester United, $3.69 billion (Soccer)
- 2. New York Yankees, $3.7 billion (MLB)
- 1. Dallas Cowboys, $4.2 billion (NFL)
Seeing as how nine of the top-20 franchises on the most valuable sports teams list are from the NFL, it looks as if anyone who has the cash to run a team on the gridiron is living the good life. If only we could, one day, fall into that category, things would be pretty darn cool.
For the entire list of 50 most valuable sports teams in the world in 2017, head on over to Forbes.
Lead image via Getty.