Image via Shutterstock
While we all love to listen to music while working out—seriously, how come no one talks to each other at the gym anymore?—the choice of songs often has more of an upbeat tone that gets the blood flowing.
Sometimes, though, it's nice to just sit back with a glass of wine and decompress, though, which is why it's important to know the 10 most relaxing songs on the planet—according to researchers from neuroscientists from the U.K.
- 10. "We Can Fly," by Rue du Soleil (Café Del Mar)
- 9. "Canzonetta Sull'aria," by Mozart
- 8. "Someone Like You," by Adele
- 7. "Pure Shores," by All Saints
- 6. "Please Don't Go," by Barcelona
- 5. "Strawberry Swing," by Coldplay
- 4. "Watermark," by Enya
- 3. "Mellomaniac (Chill Out Mix)," by DJ Shah
- 2. "Electra," by Airstream
- 1. "Weightless," by Marconi Union
Now, you're probably asking yourself how the hell someone can measure the most relaxing songs, right? I mean, I can toss on any old song and fall asleep to it, for the most part. I'm glad you're asking that, because the research from Mindlab International actually found that these tunes lowered overall anxiety by 65% and 35% in their usual physiological resting rates, per Inc..
The results come from participants who were attempting to solve stressful puzzles, meaning their frustration, anxiety and patience were probably pretty high. But, as these songs played, they became more calm. In fact, the top song, "Weightless," by Marconi Union, showed to lower anxiety by 65 percent!
So, if you're struggling with anxiety and just need something to listen to, try one (or all) of these tracks, because science shows they'll calm your ass down.