Image via Hangar 1
When you think of St. Patrick's Day, there's a good chance you visualize getting lucky while drinking Irish whisky and wearing tons of green. While that's what most people do to celebrate the holiday, this year might be the perfect time to change things up a bit—because, really, who wants all those beer carbs or a killer whisky hangover, right?
Rather than down a bunch of straight Jameson and do your fair share of Irish car bombs, here are some untraditional St. Patty's Day cocktails you might want to try out. We promise you'll thank us.
Miner’s Cough (A Classic Twist On An Irish Coffee)
- 2 oz 1800 Añejo
- 1 oz Dark Roast Coffee
- 3 dashes Chocolate Bitters
- 1/2 oz Agave
- Top with Lager Whipped Cream
Directions: Combine all ingredients into shaker. Shake for 10 seconds. Strain in Rocks Glass. Top with Lager Whipped Cream. Garnish with Shaved Chocolate.
The Green Boxer
- 1.5 oz. 1800 Silver
- 0.5 oz. Fresh squeezed orange juice
- 0.5 oz. Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 0.5 oz. Lime juice cordial
- 0.25 oz. Green chartreuse
Directions: Shake with ice and strain into an ice-filled rocks glass.
- 2 oz. 1800 Reposado Tequila
- 3 oz. Lime Juice
Directions: Combine ingredients and muddle with Cilantro. Serve over ice in highball glass and garnish with Lime.
Hangar 1 Tomatillo Bloody Mary
- 2 oz Hangar 1 Straight Vodka
- 1 pound tomatillos husked, trimmed, and quartered
- 1/2 pint (about 7 ounces) green or yellow grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 Persian cucumber roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice plus more for mixing the cocktail and for garnish
- 1 serrano or Thai chile halved and seeded (if desired), plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (not creamed)
- 3/4 teaspoon green hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 Pinch of celery seeds
- Fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- Cooked shrimp peeled but tail left on, optional for garnish
- Scallions optional for garnish
Directions: Combine the tomatillos, tomatoes, the 2 cucumbers, 2 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, 1 Serrano chile, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a blender and process until very smooth, at least 30 seconds. To make one drink, place 2 cilantro sprigs in the bottom of a cocktail shaker and, using a wooden spoon or muddler, tap on the cilantro until it’s bruised. Combine 5 ounces of the Base with the vodka, the horseradish, hot sauce, Worcestershire, celery seeds, and juice from the lime wedge in a cocktail shaker. Add ice to fill halfway then stir with a bar spoon until the shaker is cold, about 10 stirs. Pour the drink and ice into a serving glass, garnish with any or all of the garnishes.
Hangar 1 Honeydew + Mint
- 1.5 oz. Hangar 1 Straight Vodka
- 2 oz. honeydew puree
- 0.5 oz. mint syrup (For the mint syrup: 5 mint sprigs and 1 1/2 cups simple syrup (1 to 1, water to sugar)
- 0.5 oz. lime juice
- 1 oz. sparkling water
- mint sprig and lime wedge for garnish
Directions: Combine ingredients, shake and server over ice. Garnish with mint sprig and lime wedge.
Now go forth and enjoy St. Patrick's Day, friends—just do it responsibly no matter how you decide to get your booze on.