The only chef who could make a salad into a manly meal worthy of Buffalo Bill now that he has clogged arteries...

He doesn’t need much of an introduction, but it’s good to remind ourselves that there’s more to Ramsay than the cartoon-esque TV persona. He was the first Scot to get three Michelin stars and now he’s got a collection of 12. To get there he trained with the greatest French chefs ever, and even spent a year as a personal chef on a yacht based in Bermuda. He’s got restaurants in London, Dubai, Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles, Florida, Prague, Versailles and Ireland. And now he’s cooking us a healthy dinner.

 

Roasted fillet of beef with tomato tarragon dressing: Serves 6

Ingredients
1.2kg prime beef fillet
Sea salt & black pepper
2tbsp olive oil
Wild rocket leaves
Dressing
500g plum tomatoes
5tbsp tomato ketchup
2tbsp Worcester sauce
1tbsp Dijon mustard
Few dashes of Tabasco
Juice of 1 lemon
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
2tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
Some tarragon and flat leaf parsley, chopped

Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes

Method

Step 1 “To make the dressing, cut each plum tomato in half and squeeze out the seeds. Finely chop the flesh and place in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the herbs, and combine well. Season the mixture with salt and pepper, cover with cling film and chill for at least 20 minutes or until ready to serve.”

Step 2 “Heat the oven to 200ºC and preheat a roasting pan. Trim any fat from the beef and season with salt and pepper all over. Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little olive oil. When very hot, add the beef fillet and sear for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until evenly browned all over. Lightly oil the hot roasting pan.”

Step 3 “Transfer the beef fillet to the roasting pan and place in the oven. Roast for 25 minutes for medium rare beef – it should feel slightly springy when prodded with a finger. Move the fillet from the roasting pan to a warm plate and leave to rest for ten minutes.”

Step 4 “Serve the beef warm or at room temperature. Slice it thickly and overlap the slices on a serving platter. Pile the rocket into the centre. Stir the chopped herbs into the tomato tarragon dressing and spoon over the beef. Accompany with new potatoes if you like.”

Ramsay’s meat tips…

1/ “The secret to cooking meat is in the resting. I find it so dispiriting when I cut into a steak and watch all the juices leak out onto the plate because it hasn’t had time to relax and reabsorb all that goodness.”

2/ “Start with your meat at room temperature – if you take it straight from the fridge, the outside will be burnt before the centre has had time to heat up. And remember, 85% of the cooking is done in the pan, the remaining 15% as it rests.”

3/ “For a rare fillet steak, give it two-and-a-half minutes on each side and let it rest in its own juices for three. Then, just before serving, roll it in its juices again before flashing it through a hot oven.”

4/ “A final word about duck: of all meats, it goes cold the quickest because it is so lean, so don’t slice a breast into more than three or four slices or it will discolour and turn an unappetising brown colour.”