Moscow Mule Drinkers Beware: That Copper Mug Is Poisoning The You

Image Via iStock

I've never had a Moscow Mule — I did however just ask a co-worker what they're all about and she said they were good! I'm now inclined to go home and drink and a couple dozen, you know depite this recent, very unsettling news. I'm sorry, but how long has the Moscow Mule been a popular cocktail? Since like, 1940-something, no?! How has it taken people this long to realize that the signature copper mug it's served in is damn near killing drinkers everywhere?! To all you MM fans out there, I feel for you. If someone told me that the beer bottles I guzzle from on the reg were poisoning me — I'd have a canary — or you know, just switch to cans. According to The Chicago Tribune

MORE: 'Classic, Blueberry, And Tequila Mojito Recipes Because, #NationalMojitoDay'

"An advisory bulletin from Iowa's Alcoholic Beverages Division notes that, in keeping with Food and Drug Administration guidelines, copper should not come into contact with acidic foods with a pH below six. That includes vinegar, fruit juice, wine and, yes, a traditional Moscow mule, whose pH is "well below 6.0." the bulletin says. 'When copper and copper alloy surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food,' the division notes."

MORE: 'The Trick To Making A Smooth (And Not Too Stiff) Old Fashioned'

Moscow Mule Recipe —

MORE: '10 Fruity Summer Cocktails With A Manly Kick'