Image via 5W PR
When you think of St. Patrick's Day, there's a good chance you visualize getting lucky while drinking Irish whisky and wearing tons of green. While that's what most people do to celebrate the holiday, this year might be the perfect time to change things up a bit — because, really, who wants all those beer carbs or a killer whisky hangover, right?
Rather than down a bunch of straight Jameson and do your fair share of Irish car bombs, here are some untraditional St. Patty's Day cocktails you might want to try out. We promise you'll thank us.
Ginger Lime Mojito
- 3 oz Sparkling Ice Ginger Lime
- 1.5oz White Rum
- 10 mint leaves
- Lime wedge, for garnish
- Mint sprig, for garnish
Directions: In an ice filled Collins glass, add Sparkling Ice Ginger Lime, rum, and mint leaves, then stir. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint sprig and serve.
- 1.5 oz of gin
- Simple syrup
- ½ Lime (sliced into 3 wedges)
- Splash of Sparkling Ice Lemon Lime
- Lime (garnish)
Directions: Add gin, simple syrup, and lime wedges to shaker. Muddle. Add ice. Shake and strain into chilled glass. Add a splash of Sparkling Ice Lemon Lime. Garnish with lime twist.
Ginger Sage Cocktail
- 1 bottle of Santa Margherita Prosecco Superiore DOCG
- Simple Syrup
- 1 cup honey
- 3 cups water
- 2 whole pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 large piece of ginger, peeled and diced
- 20 fresh sage leaves (plus more for garnish)
Directions: In a saucepan combine the honey and water over medium heat and bring to a light boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the honey has dissolved completely. Add the pears, ginger and sage leaves. Simmer, stirring occasionally until the mixture has reduced by 1/3 (about 15-20 minutes). Remove from heat and let the mixture steep for an additional 10 minutes. Strain the syrup into a large canning jar or thick glass bowl. Discard the ginger and sage leaves. Place a few pieces of the cooked pear into each stemless wine glass followed by 2 tbsps of the simple syrup. Add Santa Margherita Prosecco Superiore DOCG and serve.
Cucumber Lime & Basil Prosecco Spritzer
- 1 lime juiced
- 4 basil leaves
- 4 cucumber slices
- Santa Margherita Prosecco Superiore DOCG
Directions: Muddle lime juice, basil and cucumber in a shaker glass. (For extra flavor infusion allow mixture to marinate in the fridge for at least one hour). Add ice and shake mixture. Strain the juice only (about ½ oz.) into a Prosecco glass. Top with Santa Margherita Prosecco Superiore DOCG and garnish with a basil leaf and cucumber slice.
Miner’s Cough (A Classic Twist On An Irish Coffee)
- 2 oz 1800 Añejo
- 1 oz Dark Roast Coffee
- 3 dashes Chocolate Bitters
- 1/2 oz Agave
- Top with Lager Whipped Cream
Directions: Combine all ingredients into shaker. Shake for 10 seconds. Strain in Rocks Glass. Top with Lager Whipped Cream. Garnish with Shaved Chocolate.
The Green Boxer
- 1.5 oz. 1800 Silver
- 0.5 oz. Fresh squeezed orange juice
- 0.5 oz. Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 0.5 oz. Lime juice cordial
- 0.25 oz. Green chartreuse
Directions: Shake with ice and strain into an ice-filled rocks glass.
- 2 oz. 1800 Reposado Tequila
- 3 oz. Lime Juice
Directions: Combine ingredients and muddle with Cilantro. Serve over ice in highball glass and garnish with Lime.
Hangar 1 Tomatillo Bloody Mary
- 2 oz Hangar 1 Straight Vodka
- 1 pound tomatillos husked, trimmed, and quartered
- 1/2 pint (about 7 ounces) green or yellow grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 Persian cucumber roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice plus more for mixing the cocktail and for garnish
- 1 serrano or Thai chile halved and seeded (if desired), plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (not creamed)
- 3/4 teaspoon green hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 Pinch of celery seeds
- Fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- Cooked shrimp peeled but tail left on, optional for garnish
- Scallions optional for garnish
Directions: Combine the tomatillos, tomatoes, the 2 cucumbers, 2 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, 1 Serrano chile, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a blender and process until very smooth, at least 30 seconds. To make one drink, place 2 cilantro sprigs in the bottom of a cocktail shaker and, using a wooden spoon or muddler, tap on the cilantro until it’s bruised. Combine 5 ounces of the Base with the vodka, the horseradish, hot sauce, Worcestershire, celery seeds, and juice from the lime wedge in a cocktail shaker. Add ice to fill halfway then stir with a bar spoon until the shaker is cold, about 10 stirs. Pour the drink and ice into a serving glass, garnish with any or all of the garnishes.
Hangar 1 Honeydew + Mint
- 1.5 oz. Hangar 1 Straight Vodka
- 2 oz. honeydew puree
- 0.5 oz. mint syrup (For the mint syrup: 5 mint sprigs and 1 1/2 cups simple syrup (1 to 1, water to sugar)
- 0.5 oz. lime juice
- 1 oz. sparkling water
- mint sprig and lime wedge for garnish
Directions: Combine ingredients, shake and server over ice. Garnish with mint sprig and lime wedge.
Now go forth and enjoy St. Patrick's Day, friends — just do it responsibly no matter how you decide to get your booze on.
Lead image via 5W PR.