Season 7 of Game of Thrones was nothing if not a HUGE year for the dragons, specifically Viserion. For those of you not too keen on dragon culture, or at the very least, not remembering their names, Daenerys has (had) three dragons — Drogon, Rhaegal, and the man of the hour, Viserion.
If you're not caught up on the show, BEWARE: this post is dark and FULL of spoilers. Viserion was killed by The Night King in Episode 6 of Season 7. Viewers were heartbroken! Seriously, the entire fandom came to a halt — oh no! How could a freakin' dragon die?! This is NOT OK.
Well, as with most things on GoT, Viserion's death was not so black and white. By the end of episode 6, we see the The dead pulling Viserion with chains from the broken ice beyond The Wall. For a moment, audiences were confused on the motive. A motive of which, soon became very, very clear. Viserion would become a member of The Army of The Dead — crap!
Now, because it's GoT off-season, it's the perfect time explore, research, and gain knowledge. You want to be prepared come Season 8, right? Right! Well, I suspect that Viserion is going to be a major player so I'm going to tackle some of the more hard-hitting questions surrounding the dead dragon.
Can Viserion Be Brought Back To Life?
- Technically speaking, Viserion was already brought back to life as a White Walker or possibly just Wight. Of course, White Walkers/Wights are the dead, so it's a bit of an oxy-moron. As far as Viserion returning to "normal". There are no sources to indicate that it's possible, unfortunately. I suspect that Viserion will have to be killed by Dany's remaining 2 dragons.
How Strong Is Viserion?
- Before Viserion was turned by The Night King, he wasn't the strongest of Dany's dragons — Drongon is. Now that he's dead, he's quite possibly the strongest force in Westeros. Think about it this way, if the only thing stronger than a dragon is The Night King and The Night King created an dead dragon....well, it would be unstoppable. In theory, Dany, Jon Snow and the others will come together to find a way to defeat him.
Can Dragonglass Kill Viserion?
- As per Game of Thrones Wiki —
"Dragonglass is a common name in Westeros for the substance known as obsidian, a form of volcanic glass. Along with Valyrian steel, it is one of the two known substances capable of killing White Walkers. In Old Valyria, it was known as zīrtys perzys, which translates to frozen fire."
In that capacity, yes — Dragonglass CAN kill Viserion. However, we have yet to an Ice Dragon in the series and thusly, the same "rules" may not apply. We'll have to wait and see if more information comes out on the subject.
Will Jon Ride Viserion?
- Considering Jon Snow is a combination of fire and ice (he has both Targaryen and Stark bloodlines), it wouldn't be outlandish. I simply don't see his storyline taking that direction. If anything, Jon is likely to ride either Drogon or Rhaegal in the coming season.
Will Bran Stark Warg Viserion?
- Now THIS is something I could get behind. As a reminder, here's the definition of a warg —
"Wargs are people with the ability to enter the minds of animals and perceive the world through their senses and even control their actions. The act of doing this is called warging."
We haven't seen Bran warg since Season 6, Episode 5, but it's likely that showrunners will bring that back, as Bran will undoubtedly become a huge character by the series end. I mean, after all, he'll never walk again, but he can fly! If Bran isn't made integral in saving The Seven Kingdoms, I'd be shocked.
What Does Viserion Breathe?
- Who better to answer this question that Game of Thrones creator, George R.R. Martin? According to Business Insider —
"These colossal beasts, many times larger than the dragons of Valyria, are said to be made of living ice, with eyes of pale blue crystal and vast translucent wings through which the moon and stars can be glimpsed as they wheel across the sky. Whereas common dragons (if any dragon can truly be said to be common) breathe flame, ice dragons supposedly breathe cold, a chill so terrible that it can freeze a man solid in half a heartbeat ... As ice dragons supposedly melt when slain, no actual proof of their existence has ever been found."
Was Viserion Daenerys' Favorite Dragon?
- It's difficult to say who her favorite dragon is. She relies most heavily on Drogon, as he is her largest/fiercest dragon. To quote Dany directly from Season 7 —
"The dragons are my children," she told him after Viserion's death. "They're the only children I'll ever have. Do you understand?"
While a lot of viewers saw this as a hint at Jon and Dany's romantic relationship and possible marriage, it can also show how truly connected she is to these dragons. They ARE her children and mothers don't play favorites, right??
Image Via HBO
MORE: Why I’m 100% Done Watching 'Game Of Thrones' Forever. Read the story here
MORE: 11 'Game Of Thrones' Fan Theories That'll Weird You Out. Read the story here
MORE: 'Game Of Thrones': Predictions And Details For Season 8 (Which Isn't Coming For A LONG Time). Read the story here