Before I begin my millennial diatribe (kidding, this will be pleasant, I promise) I'd like to clarify a few things about what the term selfish means, as applied to this article.
Basically, I'm not going to list 20 reasons why it's acceptable for you to be a morally incompetent dick. If that's how you wish to spend your 20s, go for it, but that's not what I'M suggesting. You can be selfish and still be decent. No, it's not an oxymoron, it's a legitimate thing.
Selfishness at it's core, means thinking of your own self-interest before other peoples, right? Right! So, why would that be okay? Well, because focusing on YOU shouldn't have nearly as much of a negative connotation as it does. This is especially true in your 20s. In fact, if you're going to be the most selfish you can be, NOW is the time to do it and here's why—
- Chances are, you don't have children.
- Chances are, you aren't married.
- You're still looking for a career, not just a job.
- You're slowly becoming financially independent.
- You don't feel pressured to fit in like you did in high school.
- Speaking of high school, you've managed to distance yourself from all of the toxicity that goes along with it and you can see clearly.
- You're dating, but not looking for anything serious.
- You're not always so sure of what you want.
- ..And you really have no clue what you need.
- You're old enough that you shouldn't have to answer to anybody.
- You've accomplished a lot thus far and it's okay to celebrate that.
- You know who your real friends are and they'll understand you putting you first.
- Your parents are at the point where they trust your judgement.
- You're still young enough that people will forgive you.
- You don't know where your life is going just yet.
- Everyone around you is being selfish.
- You've been told you're whole life not to be selfish, so you're feeling a bit rebellious.
- What do you have to lose?
- Every move you make right now is a learning lesson.
- If you're not going to look out for you, who will?