×

Woman Left Badly Burned After Passing Gas During The Middle Of Surgery

Image via YouTube

I know, that headline is ridiculous, right? But, while we all may think to ourselves, what in the hell?, a Japanese doctor is sticking to his story, so, alas, I'm just here to relay the news to you. According to the Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun, a woman undergoing surgery, accidentally, let some gas pass, which sparked a flame and left her seriously burned.

"The fire occurred at the university hospital in Tokyo. The patient, in her 30s, was undergoing an operation which involved applying a laser to her cervix, the lower part of the uterus. The laser is believed to have been ignited by the gas she passed. The fire burnt much of her body, including her waist and legs, the report said.

A committee of external experts who examined the case said in a report that no flammable materials were in the operation room during the surgery. When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire," the report said"

There are bad times to fart, but this sounds like it's just about the worst ever. Maybe this is why doctors are so strict with what to and what not to eat prior to surgery, because something crazy like this can happen. The report says that all the equipment was working normal, so it really comes down to this — this lady shouldn't have eaten that bean burrito before going into the operating room.

Lead Image Via YouTube

H/T Break

More From FHM

The Fart That Destroyed My Relationship.

Research Suggests Smelling Your Partner's Farts Has Health Benefits (So, Let 'Em Rip Boys).

When It's OK To Please Yourself, Watch Dirty Movies And Even Fart In Front Of Your Significant Other.